Thread: System locking up

Beans

System locking up

I just received my Bonobo Pro Laptop about 2 weeks ago. I've noticed now about 3x that my laptop has locked up after the display went blank. When I typed in my password and got back to the desktop I could not click on any icon in the menu at all. I am new to Ubuntu so pardon my ignorance.

I noticed on the Ubuntu forums that this appears to be a known issue for different reasons. Any suggestions from the System 76 users would be appreciated.

I am running on 11.04.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: System locking up

I've tried pretty hard here, but I can't seem to replicate this issue on any of our systems here in the shop. Can you post the configuration of your laptop so that I can get the closest test possible?
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I think, though testing it right now, that the problem may be with my USB wireless Logitech mouse. It's model 305. I have a wired USB mouse now attached and it seems to be working. The lockup would happen after about 5-7 minutes.

I appreciate the reply.

I am assuming this info is what you're looking for regarding the config from the System Monitor:

Bonobo Professional
    Ubuntu 11.04 (natty)
    Kernel Linux 2.6.38-10-generic
    GNOME 2.32.1

Hardware:

Memory: 15.7GiB
    Processor: 0-7 Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Available Disk Space: 635.2 GiB

Hope this is the right info. BTW, I love my system just locking up occasionally. Any help/direction would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Beans

Well I just locked up again and had to reboot again. I have no idea what's going on. Apparently it's not the mouse. I will get some info on what I was reading about 11.04 and the issues they are having and pass it on and perhaps that might be issue(?). I'm just not sure. Thanks for any help.

Beans

Let me try to explain exactly what is going on. As stated, I just received my Bonobo Pro about 3 weeks ago now and I'm in the middle of trying to configure my system.

Specifically working within Firefox and Evolution and getting them setup. While in Firefox and Evolution at different times but both open at the same time, my mouse, Logitech 305-USB wireless mouse, the mouse just stops suddenly working. I can no longer click on the left button to make selections on input fields, icons or anything else, it just stops working. I can right click for awhile. The keyword keeps working. I have not tried the trackpad but I will.

Is there a problem with ubuntu and Logitech USB wireless mice? My husband has a samsung netbook with the same type of mouse and does not have any issues.

I had experienced this same behavior on my MacBook last year and found that the problem was a bulging battery. Has this happened on any of the System 76 laptops?

Obviously I have to get this problem resolved or I'll need to return this system. I sure don't want to do that and would like to get this resolved ASAP.

Again, any help/direction/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, I see you sent an email on this. For the sake of expediency, I'll just work with you via email on this problem.

Best,
    Tom
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Hi, I see you sent an email on this. For the sake of expediency, I'll just work with you via email on this problem.

Best,
    Tom
    Tom,

I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering your top-of-the-line Bonobo Professional TODAY fully tricked-out with 3-year support. This will be the 5th laptop I've purchased from System76 since 2007. Up until my last purchase, the Serval Professional (SERP6) purchased last fall, I was 100% happy with my purchase. I had a few issues with the SERP6 (which I won't go into here) that were eventually resolved, but, I'm still not 100% happy with it. The main thing that currently bothers me about it is the obtrusiveness of the fan. It tends to run alot and heavily. I've heard that it is a "Firmware Issue". Is this something that the Bonobo has right (or is it more of an Ubuntu issue)? Also, reading this thread, gives me pause. I'm concerned that all the kinks aren't yet worked out with the drivers for the Bonobo and 11.04. Does anyone else out there currently have the latest Bonobo? If so, what is your experience? Is this thread just a fluke?