Thread: Mouse scroll in serval / fingerprint scanner mouse functionality?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Mouse scroll in serval / fingerprint scanner mouse functionality?

Hi I just got a serval 76, and love 95% of it.

However, I dislike the touchpad right now as it seems to have low functionality for two reasons:

First, the fingerprint scanner between the two mouse buttons makes it difficult to simulate a third mouse button by pressing left/right mouse button simultaneously. If the buttons touched you can easily use one finger to press both, but now you have to use two fingers, and I often have to try several times with two fingers before it registers (useful if you want to say copy/paste by selecting text in the console). Is there anyway to have the fingerprint reader simulate a third mouse button? Or at least tweak the settings for registering left/right click as a third click?

Second, the touchpad doesn't seem to have any mechanism to scroll down a webpage. Is there anyway to have a region of the touchpad be used for scrolling?

As an alternative solution, is it at all possible to buy an alternative touchpad and install it myself that is compatible?

(I have absolutely no interest in using the fingerprint scanner as a security feature. Also I'd prefer not to have to lug around a usb mouse all the time.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Mouse scroll in serval / fingerprint scanner mouse functionality?

Is there anyway to have the fingerprint reader simulate a third mouse button?
    No.

Or at least tweak the settings for registering left/right click as a third click?
    By "third click" do you mean the paste functionality provided my a middle mouse button?

Second, the touchpad doesn't seem to have any mechanism to scroll down a webpage. Is there anyway to have a region of the touchpad be used for scrolling?
    On the Serval's touchpad you have to double-tap the upper or lower right corners of the touchpad to make it scroll.

As an alternative solution, is it at all possible to buy an alternative touchpad and install it myself that is compatible?
    No.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thank you very much for your prompt replies. Sorry if I was cantankerous--I've gotten rather used to my old touchpad (Dell Inspiron) and using a clickable scrollwheel for my standard web browsing, scrolling in the console. I'll probably end up buying a usb mice for work and home.

By "third click" do you mean the paste functionality provided my a middle mouse button?
    Yes. I can change "double-click timeout" in mouse preferences, and was wondering if there was a similar setting somewhere for changing the threshhold for registering a left and right click as being simultaneous for a middle click (for the paste functionality). I realize the decision to decide simultaneity may be done in hardware making this impossible (or if there are other factors to consider like it would artificially delay all clicks). As it is right now, I typically fail registering a middle mouse click for pasting about 50% of the time (and if the single click is registered first, this highlights new text, so I have to go back and re-highlight the desired text). I guess I use Shift-ins for pasting via this method, and will remap that to a more convenient button combo (for one handed use).

On the serval's touchpad you have to double-tap the upper or lower right corners of the touchpad to make it scroll.
    Ok I see that now. I still miss the ability to scroll based on finger movement akin to a scroll-wheel (where you can browse very quickly or slowly depending on what you are see), whereas this seems to be at a fixed speed slow speed; scrolling up 1000 lines takes about 37s. But still this definitely helps, thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post

On the Serval's touchpad you have to double-tap the upper or lower right corners of the touchpad to make it scroll.
    Is this really the only "scroll" ability? I just purchased a serval based on the review at Phoronix and they had a nice touchpad scroll ability a few months ago. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rval_pro&num=2

The spot that triggers the scroll is tiny and really hard to hit. It also doesn't allow variable speed which is one of the most powerful parts of scrolling. It's quicker at the moment to use the up and down arrows to browse a page in firefox than to use the scroll "spots" on the touchpad. The new touchpad is nice and big, but the outside 10%(~1cm) on both sides don't react to my fingers, which I assumed was for scrolling and was a Lucid compatability issue. But based on this thread, isn't available?

Is there any way to get proper scrolling on the (new?) servals. I'm saying new since the review 3 months ago had scrolling.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tully.foote View Post
    Is this really the only "scroll" ability?

Is there any way to get proper scrolling on the (new?) servals. I'm saying new since the review 3 months ago had scrolling.
    +1

This is a huge fail for me - I use the touchpad scroll all the time, and this tap to scroll just doesn't work. Argh.

Anyone have a workaround??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tully.foote View Post
    Actually, that review was from May of 2009, fifteen months ago. they used a Serp5, which had a different touchpad from the SerP6

Unfortunately, there is no workaround for the scrolling on this touchpad. People are also complaining about it on windows, so I think the pad itself just doesn't have the hardware for doing this. The rest of the features of the pad are really nice; only the scrolling isn't.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!